The 4 Steps of Cord Blood Banking Storage
Step #1 – Collection
After registering with us, you will be sent a collection kit. The collection begins after the umbilical cord has been cut and clamped. This process causes absolutely no harm to your newborn. Your healthcare professional will insert the needle into the vein of the umbilical cord. We will collect about 1 to 2 cups of blood.
Step #2 – Transportation
Once the collection process has been completed, you will need to place the pre-paid and pre-filled shipping label on the box. The next step is to then call a toll free number (that will be provided to you) so that a courier can come to your room and pick-up the kit.
Step #3 – Storage
Once your newborn’s cord blood reaches our lab, it will be processed and cryopreserved by a team of professionals. The cord blood will now be stored in a sterile cryogenic bag with two discreet compartments.
Step #4 – Post Processing
Your baby’s cord blood is placed in a secure room that can only be accessed via swipe-card or keyless entry system. Security is taken very seriously and we have third party monitoring companies in charge of alerting our staff in the event of electrical failure or abnormal liquid levels or temperature.
- Must support the cord blood collection for the family to be considered eligible
- Provides enrollment information on our form
- Completes HLA blood draw and medical data form for recipient (we supply all material, labels, and shipping materials, and pre-addressed FedEx forms for blood draws)
- Must meet the medical eligibility requirements and have the support of their child’s physician for the cord blood collection
- Read informed consent carefully, review it with a staff member by telephone, sign it, and return it to the program office promptly
- Receive the cord blood collection kit we send and review its contents carefully by telephone with a staff member
- Notify us promptly when mother goes into labor, goes to the hospital for any reason, or has any significant change in her pregnancy or due date
- Pack and ship the collected cord blood as instructed (we supply all materials and labels needed for shipping the cord blood to our Oakland laboratories)
- Must be willing to collect the cord blood for the family to be considered eligible
- Completes maternal blood draw at time of birth for infectious disease serology (we supply all materials, including shipping)